rss
email
twitter
facebook

Tuesday 20 December 2011

When Cancer Enters Your Life

When Cancer Enters Your Life



I remember when I was a lot younger that hearing someone had been diagnosed with cancer was a rather isolated incident and was viewed as one of the worst diagnoses a person could be given. It was discussed in whispers, as though saying it out loud might make it contagious.
Well, it's still an awful diagnosis, but these days it's frighteningly commonplace it seems. Nearly every day I hear about someone in my wider circle of friends being diagnosed with some type of cancer.
When my loved one was diagnosed with stage three cancer of the larynx in late 2009, it was unexpected, terrifying and left us feeling absolutely helpless to know what to think, much less what to do.
Neither of us knew the first thing about cancer. He'd been feeling fine except for having developed a gruff voice some months previously. He wasn't in pain or discomfort and hadn't even gone to see the doctor about his voice. However, the doctor was more concerned about his voice and had arranged for more tests, which led to a biopsy, more tests and finally a cancer diagnosis.
From that moment our lives seemed to spiral into a dark and frightening space. The doctors were urging immediate surgery to remove the entire larynx and saying it was the only option to prevent an untimely death.
How did we react? We were numbed by the shock! Our brains just stopped functioning as we tried to absorb what had been revealed. We struggled to comprehend how this could have happened. My partner was just 52 years old! We thought we had years ahead of us still and now we were being told that there was a strong possibility that he might die a horrible death in the near future.
I had often wondered how I would react and how I would cope if I ever found myself in such a situation and here I was!
My immediate reaction was that we needed to find out as much as we could about the cancer, so we could make informed decisions. My partner wanted to know what treatment options were available, other than radical surgery and after a few days, contrary to the doctors urging, he made the decision to try chemo first.
So I found myself in the unexpected role of primary carer and began a two year research project to learn as much as I could about cancer, in particular laryngeal cancer, also referred to as cancer of the larynx/voice box.
We gradually began to understand the technical jargon used by the medical professionals and although they were not open to our ideas of creating a more holistic approach, we forged ahead and tried various complementary healing methods in an effort to alleviate the awful side effects of the chemo and radiation treatments that my partner went through.
I was very surprised and daunted at just how much information is available about cancer and how to treat it. A lot of the articles I found from medical journals were depressing and very hard to understand because of the medical terminology used, so it took a lot of digging before I began to get a clearer picture.
Having spent many years working with holistic healing modalities and energy clearing and rebalancing as a Reiki Master Teacher, I was certain that we could create a more holistic approach that would support the body, mind and soul. So that's the route we took.
Gradually, over time, we incorporated various complementary treatments, like meditation, visualisation, massage and reflexology and the more I learned the more I realised that chemo and radiation are not the only options!
I researched what foods best support the body and immune system and formulated an eating plan that included the top super foods, vitamins, minerals, herbs, spices and tissue salts.
I soon realised that we had accumulated an enormous amount of valuable information and experience that needed to be shared. I promised my loved one that I would share what we had learned, so that others would not need to go through the same long process of wading through mountains of information to find what was useful.
As a result of that promise, our book "Infinitely Possible - A Cancer Odyssey" was born. It is a tribute to the brave carers out there and the people they love who are struggling with chronic disease. I salute you all!
The book is inspiring, informative, filled with practical information and very honest. Many times, I wondered whether what we were experiencing and how we were reacting and coping was "normal". I want to reassure other people that there is no wrong or right way. You cope the best way you can, by taking one day at a time.
What we went through from initial diagnosis to coping with death was an Odyssey, a journey of discovery, love and compassion.
Cancer turned our lives upside down, but we chose to make it a positive learning experience, and I feel blessed to be able to share all that with others.
I wish you blessings of peace and perfect health on your own Odyssey.
Linney
Linney Elder is the author of "Infinitely Possible - A Cancer Journey", a freelance researcher and writer, Reiki Master Teacher, intuitive healer and perennial student of life. Join her on this magical journey of self-discovery 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment